Sunday 27 April 2008

Observation



To start this project, I have decided to look at natural forms on their own as opposed to designs that are inspired by natural forms, this will come later. My first drawing was in charcoal; of a large shell from the art department. I observed a fairly simple outline that contained many complexities within. Firstly, there were the patterns on the shell, these varied at different points on the shell's coil. Then there was the coil itself, which spiralled into infinity. Finally, there were the complexities hidden within the shell which I have neglected for the sake of simplicity. I went on to draw the spiral from an end-on viewpoint.

Using this medium, I noticed a small bundle of charcoal on the table and drew these. I was interested by the way that these 'man made' objects had a distinctly organic feel; slightly curved and with a dark matte surface.

No comments: